- If visibility is 1, please do not carry out a Shorewatch.
- Please don't watch in above a Seastate of 4 (unless on the North Coast or West Coast)
- Please take the distance from your watch point - this way the mapping will work.
- Reticules are always counted DOWN
- On the database, rets are in .25 increments up to 6 then in 0.5 increments
- Even if you see the animals during your naked eye scan, you can still list bearing and rets through bins
- Seals, basking shark, etc get their own line on the sightings side of the (hardcopy) page and can use all the same details as cetaceans
- When entering data, you will record this as a 'non-cetacean marine animal' sighting and then record them on the sightings entry screen along with cetaceans.
- Please note your confidence as either 100, 75, 50 or 25%
- Trialling recording jets / helicopters in 'other' boats and then recording type in notes.
- Boats - fishing boats should be listed as either SM or LM but can been noted as fishing boats (and actively fishing or not) in notes
- If you have a sighting, please record it on the back rather than just in the notes so that we can collect the correct details.
- More notes are always better: this was a really large group, really far out… we couldn't ID, etc.
- Mixed pods are currently listed as two different sightings but with a note in each of the comments to ensure that it is a mixed pod.